Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shifting

^^^ stay away from Mobile 1 ... guessing 6 members on 600riders reported increased vibes by 2000 mi and very crunchy gear changes...

Myself included.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6.5 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

Quote Originally Posted by Final Impact View Post
    ++5 to BluePill, captured it very well. The ratio change from 1 to 2nd is on the order of 43% difference thus you need to rev match to prevent locking the rear wheel and to make a smooth shift. As the gears go up the split is less and less with the 5 - 6 being less 7% change.

As for not starting, perhaps all of the safety interlocks were not satisfied. Next time make certain the clutch is all the way in and/or if parked, bike is in Neutral.
    And yes, key on engine not running the CEL (check engine light) will be on.

Read up on Rev Matching.
    PS the FZ6 gang on 600riders.com biggest complaint is the initial drop into gear. The Yamaha Clunk when the oil and engine are cold. I roll down the drive to reduce the ClunK.
    thanks for reply. I always leave in 1st gear when park and is it bad? aand which oil do you recomend? I have to change now

No harm leaving a bike in gear, its the clunk from N to 1st that we hate. I exercise the clutch when cold and running to separate the plate, decouple the engine from the trans.

I use Amsoil, motorcycle oil, 10-40 for the FZ6. Good stuff.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6.5 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT leprecaun jon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Final Impact View Post
    ^^^ stay away from Mobile 1 ... guessing 6 members on 600riders reported increased vibes by 2000 mi and very crunchy gear changes...

Myself included.
    I used mobil 1 for 3 years in my bike till amsoil became localy sourced, never had an issue with my bike and i rode the bike daily put 10k on her with no issues, 1st gear was always clunky, but nowhere near as thudy/ cluncky as my ducati is.
    Current bikes: 2012 Ducati Monster 796 ABS, 1970 Honda CL350. Retired:09 Fz6r

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post

The philosophy I hold so dear though, took root right here on this forum. In all the posts I read about riders down and the benefits of ATGATT.

I also have some clunky gear shifts from 3-4-5-6. I've been trying to find exactly which gears have it cause i know sometimes 5-6 does not. I believe it happens when i shift in low to mid revs. Really high revs is the smoothest shifting.
    Working on a SF build. ETA ???.

bound born

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12