Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Clutch Engagement Question

Default Clutch Engagement Question

Hello,
    When i am about to take off after a red light, i shift to 1st and have to release the Clutch lever almost all the way (85-95% fully released) for the bike to start moving on it's own. Is that normal? I would've expected the clutch to start disengaging half way release of the lever.

It's not a problem but an annoyance. Because i wind up reving the bike by accident all the time for it to move since it's not moving when expected.

Can i fix this issue by adjusting the dial knob at the clutch lever? If so, do i turn it clock wise (tighten) or counter-clock wise (loosen) to make the clutch disengage and apply power to the wheel by only releasing half the clutch lever rather than releasing it over ~85% to start moving?

You can put the friction zone wherever you want it by turning the adjustment knob.

Clockwise will loosen the cable and cause the friction zone to be at the end of lever travel (when lever is closer to bar) when you pull on it.

Counter-clockwise will tighten the cable and obviously cause the friction zone to occur early in lever travel, which is what you are complaining about.

Feel absolutely free to adjust the friction zone to whatever you prefer. The manual specifies an actual clearance between the top of the lever and the lever perch of free play. I think it's supposed to be about the width of a quarter or two, something like that. Yours may be smaller than that. Remember what yours is right now for reference, then try turning the knob clockwise and see how you like the adjusted friction zone.

Blog Entries

That's about where mine is, I like it so I don't have to engage it much to change gears...

as long as your free play is adjusted right, try it for a while... upshifts/downshifts take a quick squeeze instead of more travel.

Don | "Deer suck! Back on two's next year!"

Believe it's 1/4-3/8" measured at end of lever. If too tight you won't disengage gears and too loose won't engage gears. I mistakenly tightened mine too much a few years ago when I changed to shorty levers and gear wasn't fully disengaging. Simple adjustment fixed it.
    Mods: /Shogun Sliders/ C. Werkes FE/ ZX6R Mirrors/ Flushmounts/ POW Tank Pad/ PC5/ Driven BO's/ Shorty Levers/ Kuryakyn Throttle Lock - Bar Ends/ AHR - HID/ LEDs-Air Scoop/ T-rex Spools/ Woodcraft Clip-Ons/ Kuryakyn ISO Grips/ Puig Racing Screen/ Ram Mount/ / Stompgrip/ Red Rim Stripes/ Red Spike Bolts/ CF Gas Cap Cover/Billet Alum. Pegs/ MD Integrated Taillight/ Healtech GiPro GI/Airbox Mod/ Short V Stacks/ FZ6 Cams/ Galfer Stainless Braided Brake Lines/ Volar Sintered HH pads/ Ogio tailbag

Reviving an old thread...
    Finally, some good weather so i wanted to take my bike out for a long ride. After warming up, i noticed that when i had the clutch fully pulled in and shifted to 1st gear, the bike was slowly pulling itself forward even with clutch fully pulled in. I think i may have to adjust my clutch cable. Do i need to turn the knob at the clutch lever closewise or counter-close wise to have the clutch more engaged while pulled in?

manual

https://dd5394a0b8ca8e97ba29-abf76f3...26-42_2043.pdf

to tighten spin it towards you
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R - Team Yamaha Blue/White [30.06.2013] - Zero Gravity Double Bubble- Dark Smoke , Givi V47 Top Box

Sounds like you have too much free play. Too little would make it harder to disengage, but easier to engage (I think). If it seems tight, loosen a bit and take a short ride and if it's loose then tighten a little and take it for a short ride. If you have a long driveway or parking lot you really don't need to go anywhere. You should know right away if it's right or wrong.
    Mods: /Shogun Sliders/ C. Werkes FE/ ZX6R Mirrors/ Flushmounts/ POW Tank Pad/ PC5/ Driven BO's/ Shorty Levers/ Kuryakyn Throttle Lock - Bar Ends/ AHR - HID/ LEDs-Air Scoop/ T-rex Spools/ Woodcraft Clip-Ons/ Kuryakyn ISO Grips/ Puig Racing Screen/ Ram Mount/ / Stompgrip/ Red Rim Stripes/ Red Spike Bolts/ CF Gas Cap Cover/Billet Alum. Pegs/ MD Integrated Taillight/ Healtech GiPro GI/Airbox Mod/ Short V Stacks/ FZ6 Cams/ Galfer Stainless Braided Brake Lines/ Volar Sintered HH pads/ Ogio tailbag