Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: seat height question

OP here. Okay I checked the seat height, but it was at the default "L" position as I expected -- the guy I bought it from barely used the bike, doubt he ever took the seat off, heh.

Measured the old Ninja, approx 29" at the lowest then when sitting on the bike it sags somewhere in the 28-28.25" range. (Probably needs a new shock after 10 years? But only 9K miles.) Like @KSK says, I am all sorts of flat footed there, more than enough. The Ninja may be a bit narrower also. The sag is probably even a bit more than that, due to the way I measured it with my body more towards the rear than in the saddle.

The FZ6R measured about 31" but I couldn't get a reading with me on the seat. No place to scoot back like the old Ninja's banana style seat. However it's pretty obvious my thin frame barely deflects the FZ6R shock, so I lowered the pretension from 3 to 1, which helped a little. It's not that I can't flat foot, but that I pretty much have to be positioned just right, no wiggle room. Legs straight to the ground, no flexing.

I'll have to decide between the Soupy 1.5" link (or PSR), Roaring 1.75" link, or that other 2" link (T-rex, eBay noname.) I am a little worried about overdoing it. And a new kick stand too ...
    Last edited by xorbe; 04-30-2015 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmexico View Post
    5 6 here and 30 inseam, almost can flat foot.
    Hard to believe some of the heights here and can't flat foot.
    Seats wide and preload is set to max so no sag. I flat foot at 5'10,but not by a lot.
    Mods: /Shogun Sliders/ C. Werkes FE/ ZX6R Mirrors/ Flushmounts/ POW Tank Pad/ PC5/ Driven BO's/ Shorty Levers/ Kuryakyn Throttle Lock - Bar Ends/ AHR - HID/ LEDs-Air Scoop/ T-rex Spools/ Woodcraft Clip-Ons/ Kuryakyn ISO Grips/ Puig Racing Screen/ Ram Mount/ / Stompgrip/ Red Rim Stripes/ Red Spike Bolts/ CF Gas Cap Cover/Billet Alum. Pegs/ MD Integrated Taillight/ Healtech GiPro GI/Airbox Mod/ Short V Stacks/ FZ6 Cams/ Galfer Stainless Braided Brake Lines/ Volar Sintered HH pads/ Ogio tailbag

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
    Hi everyone, just picked up a barely used 2014 FZ6R that is all stock as far as I know. I am 5'10" (thin male runner body) and am surprised that I can barely flat-foot the thing. I've already found the "how to lower" threads for the front (wrench) and rear (link). But does it sound right that at 5'10" the bike is tall for me? I didn't expect the bike to feel this high. Coming from a crazy easy Ninja 250R after a couple years. I don't ride or corner aggressively, so I'd prefer to have more comfortable solid footing at stops. Thanks!

Lower the front looks and rides so much better

Blog Entries

Lower front looks and rides so much better

Quote Originally Posted by Amberfz6r View Post
    Agree 100%! Looks better and corners easier.
    Mods: /Shogun Sliders/ C. Werkes FE/ ZX6R Mirrors/ Flushmounts/ POW Tank Pad/ PC5/ Driven BO's/ Shorty Levers/ Kuryakyn Throttle Lock - Bar Ends/ AHR - HID/ LEDs-Air Scoop/ T-rex Spools/ Woodcraft Clip-Ons/ Kuryakyn ISO Grips/ Puig Racing Screen/ Ram Mount/ / Stompgrip/ Red Rim Stripes/ Red Spike Bolts/ CF Gas Cap Cover/Billet Alum. Pegs/ MD Integrated Taillight/ Healtech GiPro GI/Airbox Mod/ Short V Stacks/ FZ6 Cams/ Galfer Stainless Braided Brake Lines/ Volar Sintered HH pads/ Ogio tailbag

Quote Originally Posted by Amberfz6r View Post
    Yeah, just deciding which link and how much in the front. People have dropped the front as much as 2.5" (!) and the one rider that did 2.25" said no problem over 100 mph -- not that I ride that fast, but good to know there was no wobble. Either Soupy's 1.5" and 1.5" in the front, or RT with 1.75" and 1.75" in the front.

Are there any problems with aftermarket kickstands and the associated safety switch? I'd prefer swap something on, rather than have the stock stand welded shorter.

Blog Entries

I went down as low as it goes no trouble at high speeds just watch bumps I don't know what bangs thought it was the horn but it's not

Unless my tape measure lies, looks to me the max drop is just under 2" until it would run into the handlebars. I don't see how a 2.5" drop would be possible. My dust marks are about 1.25" so I think I'll go with a 1.25" drop in front, seems like the safe choice. But that was no doubt from the bigger, heavier previous owner.

I'm 5'4" guy lowered the front an inch and with lowering link and the seat lowered (I took the plastic out). If you lower the forks too much and you hit a pot hole like me you'll bottom out and that feeling sucks. I tip tow unless I only have one foot down. But hey who needs both feet to stop.

I'm five foot nine (used to be taller, age is telling) and everything on my 6r is stock. My inseam varies from 30 to 32 depending upon the pant maker.

I flat-foot with no problems in my riding boots. I'd guess the boots add about an inch. I only struggle with pushing the bike backwards. I find it difficult to get leverage.

Maybe some good riding boots in your future?
    Mods: Me!

I ride because I must. I ride because it is who I am. My bike is my soul, made machine. Together, we are whole. I ride.

I never get on the bike unless I'm ATGATT. Accidents are just that. If we could predict them, they wouldn't happen. Just sayin'

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast