Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: theoretically....

You can get the right size and ratio turbo and it prevents lightswitch style boost situations. The turbo has to be matched to the engine. Basically you want the turbo to build boost slowly before the peak torque of the engine, rather than all hitting at once at peak torque.

For a turbo'd motorbike, normally the boost is kept low (5-7PSI) , and you can get a small turbo so it can generate boost throughout the rev range without taking a massive boost hit at a particular rpm.

Superchargers would be better though for large motorbike engines, everything would definitely be linear with rpm there.

120 whp would still be a nice change of pace.
    Ride:2012YamahaFZ6RRaven
    Mods:NAKED!!!,Sv650 clip ons, 5000kHID,BarEndmirrors, JPRShortylevers, AirboxMOD, R6 HEADERS CUSTOM EXHAUST, CustomFE, I<3boobies sticker
    Gear:Helmets:707 Vendetta2,SpeedandStrengthSS700Highcompression,Spe edandstrengthSS1000;Jackets:BiltAirDemonwithCEArmo r,SpeedandStrengthHighCompressionJacket,IconStryke rVest;Gloves:CortechVice2.0,SpeedandStrengthHighCo mpression,IconPatrol.Pants;BiltTrackstarLeatherPan ts;Boots:CortechLatigoAir,BiltTrackstar

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT leprecaun jon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

tell me were not on this topic again? some guys said he was doing it and never got back to the forum about it. i revived that thread a few months back and never got any progress from it
    Current bikes: 2012 Ducati Monster 796 ABS, 1970 Honda CL350. Retired:09 Fz6r

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post

The philosophy I hold so dear though, took root right here on this forum. In all the posts I read about riders down and the benefits of ATGATT.

Sport touring Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leprecaun jon View Post
    tell me were not on this topic again? some guys said he was doing it and never got back to the forum about it. i revived that thread a few months back and never got any progress from it
    What I hear is blah blah blah blah blah.....next thread please...

Quote Originally Posted by leem00 View Post
    What I hear is blah blah blah blah blah.....next thread please...

Yeah, a bunch of gearheads on a motorcycle forum talking about the intricacies of how a turbo works. Weird! Has anyone seen Rhianna's new video?

Quote Originally Posted by FastFreddy View Post
    I think it would be a good bike to turbo. I was thinking about it.

However you'd only be able to get around 120 HP and added weight and complexity. So you'd be better off trading it up for a litre bike which would be more power and lighter anyway.

Prices : (you could double this).
    - manifold and exhaust $1500
    - turbo $1000
    - Big injectors ~$500-700
    - ECU replacement with additional sensors and retuned by a good tuner ? $2500 ?

If you tune them for a living and can make up your own manifolds, it may be worth it if you have lots of spare time and like doing lots of work.

If you replace the pistons for more boost, you definitely should be buying a new bike at this point.
    Christ, where'd you pull those prices from?
    So far I have a gt2871 turbo, 220cc injectors for under $500.
    Piping will be 300.
    Tuning is 600.
    Map sensor is under 100

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As far as theory goes, the FZ6R is almost the perfect bike for a turbo. The original R6 engine that it is derived from was in the 120-135 HP range, so the basic Engine & Transmission should be able to handle the power reliably. Forced induction - either super or turbocharging - is exactly what the engine needs to overcome the reduced airflow created when Yamaha hobbled the engine with smaller throttle bodies, ports, and mild cam timing.

As already stated, the easy and economical way to more power is to simply trade up. Even if the forced induction mod turns out perfectly, you still have a chassis with non-adjustable suspension that would probably be sketchy above 100HP.
    Now: 2015 FZ6R & 2008 WR250R
    Past: 2009 FZ6R & 2008 CBR1000RR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12