Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodcraft Clip-Ons

Default Woodcraft Clip-Ons

I was looking through some older threads about clip-ons and was looking to see if anyone had installed theirs with 2 inch risers. I looked at some pics with 1.5 inch risers and on almost all the pics it looks like the handlebar contacts the plastics. I've always like the Woodcraft Black clip-ons and wanted to see what everyone's opinion here is. I was hoping to find a picture with 2 inch risers even if they were Apex just for reference.
    Mods: /Shogun Sliders/ C. Werkes FE/ ZX6R Mirrors/ Flushmounts/ POW Tank Pad/ PC5/ Driven BO's/ Shorty Levers/ Kuryakyn Throttle Lock - Bar Ends/ AHR - HID/ LEDs-Air Scoop/ T-rex Spools/ Woodcraft Clip-Ons/ Kuryakyn ISO Grips/ Puig Racing Screen/ Ram Mount/ / Stompgrip/ Red Rim Stripes/ Red Spike Bolts/ CF Gas Cap Cover/Billet Alum. Pegs/ MD Integrated Taillight/ Healtech GiPro GI/Airbox Mod/ Short V Stacks/ FZ6 Cams/ Galfer Stainless Braided Brake Lines/ Volar Sintered HH pads/ Ogio tailbag

I have 1.5 in woodcrafts and if they were contacting the plastics I wouldn't be riding around with them. 2 in risers just means you have to raise your forks higher, effectively lowering the front end and making it easier to bottom out or have the horn smash into the front fender. I will admit that when first installing all of the controls, one of the screws that holds the engine start/kill assembly together scraped the plastics but a simple adjustment solved it. From lock to lock nothing makes contact with the plastics.
    Mods: clear double-bubble, zx6r mirrors, shorty black levers, progrips719, protons, oes no-cuts, tech-spec, targa fe, Marthy Viper Exhaust, jb pro, airbox mod, motodynamic taillight, woodcraft clip-ons, DDM 5k HID

Okay, Just looks like in most of the pics I saw there were drag marks on the plastics. Might be that everyone had the same issue with the controls screws. Sounds good, thanks for the reply. I would prefer the 1.5 inch risers anyways from the way they look in photos. Did you get brand new grips when you installed the clip-ons? I think when I change to clip-ons that I will probably change to shorty levers then and new grips.
    Mods: /Shogun Sliders/ C. Werkes FE/ ZX6R Mirrors/ Flushmounts/ POW Tank Pad/ PC5/ Driven BO's/ Shorty Levers/ Kuryakyn Throttle Lock - Bar Ends/ AHR - HID/ LEDs-Air Scoop/ T-rex Spools/ Woodcraft Clip-Ons/ Kuryakyn ISO Grips/ Puig Racing Screen/ Ram Mount/ / Stompgrip/ Red Rim Stripes/ Red Spike Bolts/ CF Gas Cap Cover/Billet Alum. Pegs/ MD Integrated Taillight/ Healtech GiPro GI/Airbox Mod/ Short V Stacks/ FZ6 Cams/ Galfer Stainless Braided Brake Lines/ Volar Sintered HH pads/ Ogio tailbag

yeah the 1.5 in are a tight fit but look and function great when properly adjusted. I actually had aftermarket grips on my stock bars that I pried off and put onto the wood crafts.
    Mods: clear double-bubble, zx6r mirrors, shorty black levers, progrips719, protons, oes no-cuts, tech-spec, targa fe, Marthy Viper Exhaust, jb pro, airbox mod, motodynamic taillight, woodcraft clip-ons, DDM 5k HID

These are bar end ready. Does that mean that you can screw on a pair of weighted bar ends without modification? Do you have weighted bar ends on yours? Heard there's quite a bit of vibration without the bar ends. Any modification needed to brake lines, clutch, etc?

The height dimension on the Woodcraft clamp is the same no matter what riser height is employed. So to flush mount the clamps to the forks on top of the triple, the distance the bike is lowered can be the same. To account for the difference between 1.5 " and 2" risers can be achieved by a little more rotation of bar, approximately 3 to 5 degrees to allow best clearance of the levers. Once the clip-ons are loosely mounted and configured with grips, lines and levers it becomes clear on which clamp and bar rotation positions will provide the best clearance of the tank and plastics. No matter what riser height you choose I suggest you have your new grips and new bar ends already procured so you don't have reposition the controls to accommodate for fit of a new component. I found the Spider Peak grips I used to be about an 1/8" longer than the OEM grips and I had tried four bar ends styles before I settled on a customize version of a heavy weighted set.
    http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/weigh...lip-ons-27914/

Here are some pictures of my Woodcraft clip-ons with 2" risers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rregal; 12-22-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: grammer

I don't have bar ends on mine and yes they have more vibration over stock but I found that relaxing my grip on the bars reduces the vibration a lot. Only long highway rides seem to bug my hands. You would need to buy the universal style bar ends and pull the stock plugs out. No modification needed for brake and clutch lines, just need to make sure nothing is tangled. The only hassle I had was not knowing I needed to drill the small anti-rotation holes into the wood crafts. The controls on both sides have small plastic "tits" that fit into a hole to keep them from free spinning on the bar. You need to measure the distance on the stock bars and drill a hole on both wood craft bars.

Quote Originally Posted by rregal View Post
    The height dimension on the Woodcraft clamp is the same no matter what riser height is employed. So to flush mount the clamps to the forks on top of the triple, the distance the bike is lowered can be the same. To account for the difference between 1.5 " and 2" risers can be achieved by a little more rotation of bar, approximately 3 to 5 degrees to allow best clearance of the levers. Once the clip-ons are loosely mounted and configured with grips, lines and levers it becomes clear on which clamp and bar rotation positions will provide the best clearance of the tank and plastics. No matter what riser height you choose I suggest you have your new grips and new bar ends already procured so you don't have reposition the controls to accommodate for fit of a new component. I found the Spider Peak grips I used to be about an 1/8" longer than the OEM grips and I had tried four bar ends styles before I settled on a customize version of a heavy weighted set.
    http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/weigh...lip-ons-27914/

Here are some pictures of my Woodcraft clip-ons with 2" risers.
    They look good! They should have come stock with clipons. Looks 100 times better. Thanks for adding your pics for reference. They will be my next mod after changing my exhaust to the marthy viper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdubb223 View Post
    I don't have bar ends on mine and yes they have more vibration over stock but I found that relaxing my grip on the bars reduces the vibration a lot. Only long highway rides seem to bug my hands. You would need to buy the universal style bar ends and pull the stock plugs out. No modification needed for brake and clutch lines, just need to make sure nothing is tangled. The only hassle I had was not knowing I needed to drill the small anti-rotation holes into the wood crafts. The controls on both sides have small plastic "tits" that fit into a hole to keep them from free spinning on the bar. You need to measure the distance on the stock bars and drill a hole on both wood craft bars.
    I have actually turned mine a bit on my stock bar because I moved it to the forward position and rotated them back. Couldn't use the controls in their original position once I did that and surprisingly they haven't moved. I also had to move the master cylinder a little bit to make room for my throttle lock. Looking at the pics I am not sure if I will have room for my throttle lock. If I can get my carpal tunnel surgery during this off season it won't be a big deal. Thanks for all the info Kdubb.

Hey kdubb223
    How is the handling of your bike with the lowered front end and clip ons
    Does it still handle good in curves? And at higher speeds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast