Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigger Rear Tire 160/60 vs 170/60

Default Bigger Rear Tire 160/60 vs 170/60

So I have been digging in this forum looking to see if it was a good idea to get a bigger rear tire. I have not gotten a clear answer. Some say it decreases performance and that the FZ6R was not made for a bigger tire. Some say it increase performance? I just want to know what the answer is... I want to get the bigger tire for looks but I want to know how much it increases or decreases performance if I do this...better yet I want to know if the bigger tires will hurt my bike.. Is the swingarm wide enough to take on the 170/60 tire? or is the tire going to be hitting this? Answers anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by sbastien82 View Post
    So I have been digging in this forum looking to see if it was a good idea to get a bigger rear tire. I have not gotten a clear answer. Some say it decreases performance and that the FZ6R was not made for a bigger tire. Some say it increase performance? I just want to know what the answer is... I want to get the bigger tire for looks but I want to know how much it increases or decreases performance if I do this...better yet I want to know if the bigger tires will hurt my bike.. Is the swingarm wide enough to take on the 170/60 tire? or is the tire going to be hitting this? Answers anyone?
    Biggest problem is the width of the OEM wheel, i dont think it is wide enough to accommodate a wider tire!
    There's no Replacement for Displacement!

Find me here, http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/member...rhp-12071.html

I canít imagine that swapping out the rear tire and wheel decreasing performance. Iím sure you will get more traction. best person to get a clear answer form is your local dealer or an tire pro.
    FAB 5 President

-----------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/user/JT2012FZ6R

Quote Originally Posted by JT-FZ6R-2012 View Post
    I can’t imagine that swapping out the rear tire and wheel decreasing performance. I’m sure you will get more traction. best person to get a clear answer form is your local dealer or an tire pro.
    You really wont get more traction, with the wheel not being wide enough, it will change the crown of the wider tire!

Also with a larger tire, you gain rotating mass, with will rob the bike of power!
    There's no Replacement for Displacement!

Find me here, http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/member...rhp-12071.html

Read this. It's no different than you'll get with a new thread.... a bunch of opinions and you need to choose the ones you like.

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f67/any-t...ight=rear+tire
    Last edited by Chucker; 06-05-2012 at 11:11 AM.
    Mike

Bike - '09 Raven FZ6R - Puig dark smoke racing screen, T-Rex frame sliders, T-Rex spool adapters, Keiti carbon fiber tank pad, Yamaha FZ1 bars, Race Tech 1.0 kg/mm fork springs w/ Bel-Ray 15W oil, Eibach 19.6 kg/mm shock spring, Rizoma racing pegs, Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires, Spiegler SS brake lines (smoke), R&G Tidy Tail fender eliminator, Oxford rear LED indicators, Proton flush mount indicators, Driven 17T front sprocket, Emgo ZX-6R mirrors

i just went through this about 2 weeks ago and yes a 170 will fit on your rim and will work PERFECTLY FINE!!! my thing is light weight soo im sticking with my 160 and the 170 will help in corners a tiny bit!
    Mods In Order:[Puig Tinted Windscreen][Rascal Grafik Tank Pad][Puig Rear Tire Hugger][Puig Sliders][Rumble Concepts Integrated Tail Light][Rumble Concepts F/E][Proton Flush Mount Signals][TBR Black C/F Exhaust][PSR B/O Plates][PSR Adjustable Break and Clutch Leavers][K&N Filter + Intake Mod][Dynojet PCV][Blue Smoked Wheel Stripes][C/F Gas Cap Pad][Apex Clip-ons][Spike Bolts]

Quote Originally Posted by Perdurable View Post
    i just went through this about 2 weeks ago and yes a 170 will fit on your rim and will work PERFECTLY FINE!!! my thing is light weight soo im sticking with my 160 and the 170 will help in corners a tiny bit!
    you think a 170 adds that much weight?

I'm using 180/55 on mine and there's a huge difference in performance... NOT! Rides same as with 160/60. I've ridden it for 2k and had 0 problems or complaints w/ it. Just maintain proper tire pressure like you should be doing anyways and you'll be good.

SITE DISCLAIMER! We take no responsibility if you choose to do this to your bike and have an issue/accident/etc.. It is not recommended to run a tire size other than manufacturer recommended sizes.

Last edited by dart1963; 06-05-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: add disclaimer

Quote Originally Posted by RooKie View Post
    I'm using 180/55 on mine and there's a huge difference in performance... NOT! Rides same as with 160/60. I've ridden it for 2k and had 0 problems or complaints w/ it. Just maintain proper tire pressure like you should be doing anyways and you'll be good.

looks great
    FAB 5 President

-----------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/user/JT2012FZ6R

looks sharp with the 180 on it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast