Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bigger Rear Tire 160/60 vs 170/60

Quote Originally Posted by RooKie View Post
    Here are pics with measurements. I hope this is what you were asking for.
    Perfect! Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------
    Givi hard luggage & racks for sale here

Blog Entries

That night time shot is a sick photo!

Noice work says Poiter!
    '06 Suzi SV1000S
    Gear: A* Gp Pro 2pce, A* Armoured Vest, Shark Race R-Pro Helmet, Sidi B2 Boots, M2R Strike gloves, Sena SMH10R headset

looks great! did you stick with the same size up front? sorry if you already covered this.

Thanks! Yup, the front stayed same as stock 120/70R.
    2010 FZ6R Pearl White:
    OES Frame Sliders | Red Vortex Levers | FZ6R Double Bubble Windscreen | Proton Flushmounts | DMP Fender Eliminator | Motodynamics Integrated Tail Light | 120/60 & 180/55 Shinko Tires | Red Reflective Rim Stripes | '09 FZ6R Red Suspension Spring | Sportbike Stage III KIT (6000K bulb) - Retrofit Source

Thumbs up

I have the 170 pirelli angel sport, and it works just fine...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've used a dunlop Q2 170/60 on my bike and noticed it sat alittle higher. You can check manufacture websites and they will tell u the circumference and with of each size. Personally i think its a waste of extra money. I ride my bike hard I live close to palomar mountain, CA so I test all my tires on the south grade. 20 hair pin turn on a 5 mile road. I took off my peg "feelers" and still scrap in corners. I get edge to edge with the 160/60 but on the 170/60 I still have 1/2 inches un touch no matter how hard I rail the corners. I think if u want the apperance of a wide tire go for it, I perfer stock. FYI 150/60 160/60 170/60 ARE ALL OK TO USE ON OUR 4.5" REAR RIM.
    LIVING IN THE FAST LANE 2010 FZ6R
    iridium plugs, 16/43 gearing, K&N air filter, fully adjustable aluminum danmoto clip ons, 02 r6 header mounted to custom aluminum muffler, ZX6R mirrors, bel-ray 10w fork oil, factory all four short intake stacks. HH rated brakes, EBC heavy duty clutch springs. 65,XXX miles and counting

i HAVE A 09 fz6r AND mine came with a 180/55/17 when i bought it from a local dealer used. I liked it but then I found out that it wasnt safe for our size rims and I went back to the 160/60r17 and that change was big in the way the bike handled. The bigger tire I could get lower in corners but the smaller size the bike was more flickable. I now run a continental contimotion 170/60r17 and I love it. Its a nice combonation between the two sizes and I like it way better than the stock size. I dont blow across the road on a windy day now, lol but for real. I will add, The 180/55 and the 160/60 dont look much different because of the rim being so skiny, It pushes the 180 up and makes it about the same width as a 160 would be. I can definately feel a difference but the visual difference is very small. hope this helps.

I have a hard time believing that the wider rear will let you get over in a turn further - due in part to the fact that the stock rear sets are the problem, and tire width doesn't equal lean angle. I took my peg feelers off, and still was scraping them WITHOUT using the entire tread (had about an 1/8" to 1/4" of untouched rubber) the stock rear sets are also a contributing factor to my first low side - about 1% pegs, and 99% body position error on my part.

the 160 that our bike uses is fine for power transfer and as mentioned before keeps our bike very flickable considering its a 470 lb pig with only around 70 ponies.
    Does a 170 or even 180 look better? You better believe it... I'm especially fond of the pic in this thread of the Pirelli angels, but I dont think I'd want to sacrifice the maneuverability of our bikes for looks alone. As Rook stated, he doesnt hit twisties too much, so a larger back tire will probably last a little longer unless he's ripping and tearing on a straight line from stop light to stop light.

Tire width = power transfer to the road. You could theoretically stick a 150 on the back of an S1kRR and run it..... for a couple minutes until the bike's power got done eating it. Just google pictures of a KTM RC390 and see how far those 150 pizza cutters get over in a turn

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234