Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobski's windscreen comparisons

Hey just looked at this thread after playing around on the bike today, and noticed if I stick my head above normal riding height its smooth, and if I tuck a good bit its smooth but at riding height its rough wind.

How would you compare the stock windscreen cut say 2" compared to the Puig Racing Screen? I just dont think I could deal with the tall styling of the touring.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdiesel View Post
    Hey just looked at this thread after playing around on the bike today, and noticed if I stick my head above normal riding height its smooth, and if I tuck a good bit its smooth but at riding height its rough wind.

How would you compare the stock windscreen cut say 2" compared to the Puig Racing Screen? I just dont think I could deal with the tall styling of the touring.
    Any recent feedback for the Cee Bailey? I am thinking of getting that because it's so hard to find the Puig TS. Thanks in advance.

I know the PUIG Touring Windscreen is tough to find.

I just special ordered it from Dave Keogh at Kneedraggers: $119.99 out the door. The kicker is there is a 2 month wait (back-ordered).

However, the price was right, and Dave was *very* accommodating. Told him I'd mention it on the board.
    Barry

Pearl White 2013 V-Strom 650

SVRacing Spools
    Adventure Tech Windshield RAM Mount
    Adventure Tech fork brace
    Madstad windscreen and bracket
    Weld86 Skid Plate
    Sargent seat
    Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse block
    Stebel Horn (loud bugger)
    Augustus Deflectors
    Givi Tank Lock Bag
    Givi V46 Top Case"
    3/4" Kouba Links
    Givi Crash Bars
    Soupy's adjustable side stand
    Grip puppies / Crampbuster

Sold: Black Honda CBR
    Sold: Copper/Raven FZ6R

Hard to find??? I place an order for the Touring one (Hope I ordered the right one) on the 23rd, they shipped it yesterday!!! www.powersportparts.com

I'll let you know when I get it.

Should be here by Friday (FedEx)

Martin

Life is all about attitude. Be hard on yourself, easy on others.

FZ6R sold...

Quote Originally Posted by Barny View Post
    Thanks again bobski! I appreciate the feedback. Based on your experience it sounds like I could be satisfied with the touring windshield.

After I sold my BMW RT I downsized to a Burgman 400 scooter and soon realized I had gone too far and started looking for a suitable bike. Sort of settled on the Bonneville, retro style being well suited to my own vintage. Then I found out that everything that looks like a crotch rocket isn't actually a sport bike. I was able to demo the new Ninja 650 and decided I didn't like it any better than the Bonnie. It was a short demo but I thought I was feeling too much heat on my right foot. Is this an issue with the fz6r? The two bikes have similar exhaust arrangements.

Yamaha is having a demo event in my area next week so I will get to try the fz then. Looking forward to that.
    No issues with heat on mine. Exhaust is jetted towards the back and away from the bike. In fact even at temp I don't think the exhaust feels hot.
    Mods: /Shogun Sliders/ C. Werkes FE/ ZX6R Mirrors/ Flushmounts/ POW Tank Pad/ PC5/ Driven BO's/ Shorty Levers/ Kuryakyn Throttle Lock - Bar Ends/ AHR - HID/ LEDs-Air Scoop/ T-rex Spools/ Woodcraft Clip-Ons/ Kuryakyn ISO Grips/ Puig Racing Screen/ Ram Mount/ / Stompgrip/ Red Rim Stripes/ Red Spike Bolts/ CF Gas Cap Cover/Billet Alum. Pegs/ MD Integrated Taillight/ Healtech GiPro GI/Airbox Mod/ Short V Stacks/ FZ6 Cams/ Galfer Stainless Braided Brake Lines/ Volar Sintered HH pads/ Ogio tailbag

Quote Originally Posted by Marthy View Post
    Hard to find??? I place an order for the Touring one (Hope I ordered the right one) on the 23rd, they shipped it yesterday!!! www.powersportparts.com

CRAP!!! Miss delivery!!! I was hoping giving it a try over the weekend...

Martin

FZ6R sold...

Quote Originally Posted by Marthy View Post

Are you sure that is the right URL? When I go to it, it is a godaddy parked domain.

Would you be able to post the full URL to the windshield on their site?

Wellll... it's the clear Puig Touring that's hard to find... I finally cancelled it, 'cause even the backorder was taking too long...

Re-did the order here, for the light smoke, and it's in stock:

PUIG WSCRN TOUR-SMK FZ6R 10-11 5548H
    Barry

SVRacing Spools
    Weld86 Skid Plate
    Sargent seat
    Augustus Deflectors
    Givi Tank Lock Bag
    Givi V46 Top Case"
    3/4" Kouba Links
    Givi Crash Bars
    Soupy's adjustable side stand
    Grip puppies / Crampbuster

Sold: Black Honda CBR
    Sold: Copper/Raven FZ6R

Default Puig Touring vs. Marthy 22'' Touring windscreen

I gave it a good try last night for my 2nd job commute in Miami. 150 miles round trip on I-95.

From sitting there on the bike the Puig screen look great! I really like the way it fit against the fairing (that's what I was trying to accomplish when I did mine) On the road the screen is awesome until you hit 70 MPH. Plenty of air on your helmet and shoulder.

At 75 MPH things are still ok, 80 MPH it's alright but you need more effort to keep your head steady. Something that is not an issue with my screen even if I brake the 3 digit barrier. (I heard)

In conclusion, the Puig screen is a very nice choice for a Touring screen. If this is all there was available I would be happy with it. But since I got my Marthy 22" Touring screen... not being bias here but I like it a bit more.

The Puig look much better in my opinion, more sporty. Fit the bike better. Where my screen beat the Puig is on efficiency.

Looks Efficiency Overall
    Puig 10 8 9
    Marthy 8 10 9

The Puig is great for a 300-500 miles days. For an Iron Butt ride, the Marthy 22" is what you need... if you can find one!

My ride set up: Renthal 787, no riser. Seat padding +1" like having it in upper position.

Martin

FZ6R sold...

Too many windscreen threads... lost which one I was updating...

Anyway, just came back from testing the Puig Touring Screen on the highway... got it up to triple digits, and this is what I noticed:

The Touring Screen doesn't *eliminate* wind on your chest, but it *does* smooth it out. The interesting thing is (for me, anyway), regardless of the speed (up to and including 105mph), I can still feel it on my chest, however, the force/turbulence doesn't seem to change. It remains a smooth, comfortable, flow.

Admittedly, part of 'not noticing a change' could be adrenalin at that speed, but I *really* made a concerted effort to "feel" any changes. I was even perpetually raising and lowering my hand, like a blind, on my side of the screen, to feel where the turbulence began, and (again, for me -- and I'm 5'9"), sitting normal and upright (no tucking), it didn't start until the top of my lid, around where the vents are (and I was wearing a Scorpion exo-1100 for reference). Below that point, you could feel wind -- but, only a smooth, even flow that never changed regardless of speed.

My $.02...

EDIT: On a side note, I will be eternally confused by those that believe this bike doesn't offer enough power... It wasn't even breathing hard at the above speeds, and the delivery was smooth, linear, and grin provoking...
    Last edited by BKP; 09-07-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    Barry

SVRacing Spools
    Weld86 Skid Plate
    Sargent seat
    Augustus Deflectors
    Givi Tank Lock Bag