Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Effects of changing sprockets

yellowfz

Can you do -1,+0 .

Quote Originally Posted by dart1963 View Post
    I've thought about that before, just never put it, or seen it, in numbers... figured you could only effect it slightly, as shorter gears meant more shifts to reach a given speed, and longer gears would have a big dip in the powerband between gears... think the best reason for a swap is the rev/cruising speed, if you're not comfortable cruising at 7k rpm...
    So to get an accurate speedometer, I want to go for +1 front and stock rear? So if this lowers the cruising rpm, shouldn't that also help improve your gas mpg also?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Current DB Windshield, Immortal Graphix Clear Tank Pad, TapeWorks Reflective Wheel Stripes, Lightning Performance Sliders, T-REX Spools, MotoCentric Sport Saddle, Givi V46, GTI-R HID Projector, Banshee Horn, Speigler Blue Brake lines, Rizoma Engine & Crank Case Guards.

Desired Givi V35. Puig Touring Windscreen, TechSpec Tank Grips, Rizoma F/E, +1/0 Sprockets, New Clutch/Brake Levers.

Quote Originally Posted by MNGreg View Post
    So to get an accurate speedometer, I want to go for +1 front and stock rear? So if this lowers the cruising rpm, shouldn't that also help improve your gas mpg also?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Yes, brings the speedo to within 0.5 MPH of GPS speed output to go up 1 tooth on the front. It also therefore corrects your odometer output, so you may measure the same MPG (using the odometer as before), but it is actually higher than before the swap.
    Example from my personal experience:
    a. Stock gearing - measured MPG = 45 MPG (actual MPG = 42 with `6% correction factor)
    b. +1 up front - measured MPG = 44MPG, which is now true MPG since the odometer is reading actual miles traveled.

2009 Cadmium Yellow FZ6R / T-Rex Frame Sliders / Pro Grip CF Tank Pad / GYTR Clear DB Windscreen / Mod-stock Exhaust / Driven 17T Sprocket / SW Motech Center Stand / ZX6-R Mirrors / Motodynamics Flushies / Motodynamics Integrated Tail / GYTR Yellow Seat Cowl

Excellent

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfz View Post
    Can you do -1,+0 .
    I updated my comparison post with -1/+0 sprockets.

I also highlighted best and worst numbers in each category and added this important note:

*NOTE*
    I don't know at what point the FZ6R will begin to wheelie, so the times for the shorter gearings are possibly unrealistic. The point at which it will begin to wheelie depends much on how high/rearward is the center of mass of the the entire bike+rider system. That means that if you are a heavier rider and/or have a passenger and/or are sitting upright rather than laying on the tank, you are less likely to be able to actually make use of the extra early (1st gear) acceleration of the shorter gearings.

I do have the ability to limit acceleration to some max threshold in my simulation, so I could theoretically experimentally determine what amount of wheel force begins a wheelie for a specific weight of rider in a specific riding position and recalculate my results. But that would probably be difficult to do, and in the end, the results would only apply to that specific rider. So the disclaimer above is the best you'll get

** EDIT: NOW FIXED! **

Crap... I just noticed I had left a temporary change in my code that could make the results inaccurate (I had increased the time step to 0.01s to make it easier to debug a problem at one point, and never returned it to a more accurate time step of 0.001s).

I'll be working on updating all the numbers. I'll post when they're all updated.
    Last edited by UselessPickles; 12-20-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    I'll be working on updating all the numbers. I'll post when they're all updated.
    All better now. Some numbers didn't change at all, most by only 0.01s, and one or two changed by about 0.02-0.03s. None of the relative comparisons have changed.

This thread really helped me out as I was thinking about changing my gearing to -1 +0. So all these times you show are assuming stock horsepower? Would there be any way to change the equation to show the times with a modded bike? Add 7-8hp for a pipe and power commander?

It's not just based on stock horsepower, but on the entire stock torque curve. At any moment of time in my simulation, I know how fast the bike is currently going and what gear it's in. From that, I look back to the torque curve at the RPMs that would get that speed in that gear to find out how much torque to simulate. Torque is multiplied by overall reduction ratio for that gear and divided by wheel radius to get wheel force. Force due to drag at that speed is subtracted, and the resulting net force is divided my mass of the bike+rider to determine acceleration for the next 1/1000 of a second of the simulation. Position of the bike is updated based on the current speed, and speed is updated based on the calculated acceleration. Rinse and repeat about 12,250 times until the total distance covered is 1/4 mile, and I now know the time it takes for the stock bike to do a 1/4 mile and how fast it will be going at the end.

Since I need the whole torque curve for the simulation, and exhaust and tuning don't simply "add horsepower" or add some percentage of torque across all RPMs, there's nothing I could do about simulating a modded bike unless I had the torque curve from that modded bike.

A plus and minus for going +1 in the front.

The plus was I got longer chain life out of a previous bike I did this to. The theory is that the links don't have to bend as much, therefor the chain last longer.

The minus was on the previous two chains I ran. I did notice I had a bit more chain stretch than the prior chain when all was done, but that could have been many factors, engine braking, driving up mountains a couple of times, instead of my sealevel no hills or frills home that the last chain didn't see.

I used the same manufacturer chain type, replaced chain 1 @ 7k miles, chain 2 and 3 both changed at 9 -9.5K miles. Chain 2 had stretch an extra 8 MM over chain 1, and Chain 3 was 9 mm over chain 1. I had a 520 conversion on a stock geared sv650 for chain 1, and a +1 front on chain 2 and 3.

Note I didn't race the engine much. 9 MM seems like a lot, but not when you count the number of links in that chain; (108 link chain, or 0.083333 per link be specific.)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast