Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The SEARCH feature

Quote Originally Posted by joloy133 View Post
    Here is a thought to consider, (even though I usually use the search feature); the conversational tone of the site. It's easy to get into something just as it comes up. Also, as a newer rider/member, if you just weed through what all the older members did it's not as much fun. I admit I have moved on to other concerns to the point that I might be stale on certain issues, (been there done that)! Anyway certain info can definitely be searched beforehand, like the "how to's", etc.
    I do think that the laid back atmosphere here allows for conversation, even on previously discussed topics. And being that we aren't terribly large yet (almost 900 members) with less than 2000 threads, it is pretty easy for the existing members to just point a newb in the right direction.

However, when we get to be as large as some other clubs, like the FZ6 forum, then we senior members will probably get tired of seeing the same question asked and would be less likely to find the specific thread before barking at a new member to search.

As long as we aren't scaring people off, then I don't mind helping find a thread for a noob, but I will kindly remind them to also use the search function in the future.

Robert

2009 Cadmium Yellow FZ6R//Intuitive Racing No-Cut Frame Sliders//Driven AIS Blockoff Plates//Custom Garage Door Opener//Custom Painted Windscreen//Making the move to a more stock setup...

Quote Originally Posted by 99vengeur View Post
    I do think that the laid back atmosphere here allows for conversation, even on previously discussed topics. And being that we aren't terribly large yet (almost 900 members) with less than 2000 threads, it is pretty easy for the existing members to just point a newb in the right direction.

However, when we get to be as large as some other clubs, like the FZ6 forum, then we senior members will probably get tired of seeing the same question asked and would be less likely to find the specific thread before barking at a new member to search.

As long as we aren't scaring people off, then I don't mind helping find a thread for a noob, but I will kindly remind them to also use the search function in the future.
    I completely agree with Joloy and you. I don't want to scare off new members either. We were all new members at one time. I am more than willing to discuss "old" threads and topics. Everyone here brings new ideas and insight in ways to improve our bikes and the sport...that's why I'm here, to see what everyone else has to offer. It's just discouraging to see new threads pop up on basic things that have been thouroughly discussed OR are still being discussed. No need to 're-invent the wheel'.
    Roaddawg

Like I said in my intro in the "new members thread" I've been trolling these forums since i bought the bike late dec '09. I read just about every friggin word on this forum before I posted anything. I wanted to see if all my questions could be answered before I opened my pie hole. I think it just depends on the individual, some research, some don't.

And let me tell you all something...you guys are great! /cheers

beers on me

Quote Originally Posted by bjs045 View Post
    Like I said in my intro in the "new members thread" I've been trolling these forums since i bought the bike late dec '09. I read just about every friggin word on this forum before I posted anything. I wanted to see if all my questions could be answered before I opened my pie hole. I think it just depends on the individual, some research, some don't.

And let me tell you all something...you guys are great! /cheers

beers on me
    Now we're talkin, norcal /socal meet in san luis obispo!

Maybe the search feature wasn't on the bike when they purchased it!?

Or maybe they didn't even read the insanely long textbook owner's manual?
    /Sarcasm

Seriously though, I was excited to get this new beast and go through the owners manual. I went through it about 3 or 4 times. Great reading material while on the john btw.
    RIP 07/31/10

Maybe "sticky" the most commonly repeated questions. Or make a FAQ thread and "sticky" that.

What about some commonly-asked thread links down the right of the screen, that link to epic threads that many of us have contributed to:

the one for aftermarket mirrors

the one with the annoying buzz (does the fairing make an irritating noise on you fz6r/xj6?)

the one with the wheel on back to front (has your bike been supplied incorrectly assembled?)

.....etc

generally people who join-up do not intentionally want to bloat the forum, it's just one of those things that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by joloy133 View Post
    Now we're talkin, norcal /socal meet in san luis obispo!
    I'm down...who's in??

Lightbulb

Got moderators?

We need a couple of moderators to manage all this. They can make thread sticky and whatnot.
    One other thing that will help, will be people to post a comprehensive title when they post a new thread, and explain their post in detail, that would help making the search feature very effective.

Bottom line is we are here to help each other with advice and ideas, and we can do that without annoying each other.
    Always remember the three S's: SAFE, SMOOTH & SEXY

whoever ends up modding; please, please don't have tons of stickies - some forums i use have ridiculous numbers of stickies, making the readability really poor.

At the moment this forum does not suffer from that problem, which is really good.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast