Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip heater installation instructions

Blog Entries

Default Grip heater installation instructions

Here is an article I wrote up to walk you through installing grip heaters.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-install-...431.html?cat=5

Thanks to those here who helped me through the process. I added a thanks and a plug to www.600cc.org at the very bottom of the page too. I hope I got everything right in the process of writing it all out.

I wish they would let me add actual pictures throughout the process... even though i didn't take any, haha.
    Last edited by JSP; 10-20-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    -Jay

You call it facial hair.. I call it AWESOMENESS escaping through my face!

Previous Bikes: 09 Rebel 250, 09 FZ6R, 09 R6, 11 FZ8, 2002 Bandit 1200S

Bump, seasons are starting to change.Thanks jsp, bookmarked until I have everything

Agreed! Thanks for the information from you and Nastybutler!!

I ordered a pair of Symtec Grip heaters from Bikebandit. Should be here this weekend or early next week. I am geared up to wire in a relayed distribution terminal block also this weekend to prepare for this install. It has the metal toggle switch so I just need to check out homedepot etc for a weatherproof boot for the toggle switch.

I purchased the block from Radio shack but the only one they had was pretty tiny (to fit the connectors on many of the wires (projector battery connection etc, etc). So I went to home depot and got a Tyco Electronics dual row terminal block. Instead of using a formed jumper I will just have to create my own jumpers via wire to each of the rows I want to be either + or -. Use little red or black loops of wire according the the +/- status of that connection. Not as nice as a formed jumper bar but cant find anything to fit.

Current DB Windshield, Immortal Graphix Clear Tank Pad, TapeWorks Reflective Wheel Stripes, Lightning Performance Sliders, T-REX Spools, MotoCentric Sport Saddle, Givi V46, GTI-R HID Projector, Banshee Horn, Speigler Blue Brake lines, Rizoma Engine & Crank Case Guards.

Desired Givi V35. Puig Touring Windscreen, TechSpec Tank Grips, Rizoma F/E, +1/0 Sprockets, New Clutch/Brake Levers.

I found a set of grip heaters for $19.99, so I wanted to post the link in case anyone else is on a budget.Or to give you guys a couple of days to "school me" if they are a pos before I order them.

Tusk Grip Heater Kit | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Also, besides open bar ends.Whats the biggest difference between street/dirtbike grips?Are the sizes/length any different?Or can I just cut open the bar ends?Id just like something with more bite than most street grips when I get thicker gloves.
    Last edited by bleedinblue; 10-18-2012 at 10:28 PM.

I saw those Tusk ones on amazon. Very good reviews. For the splice wire, I would just go buy a wx proof one instead of the one that comes with any of these kits, since you can't heat shrink over them.

I went with the symtec (heat demon) because of good reviews and the company is in FRIDLEY MN (about 30-40 miles from my house) keepin it local.

I cut back the heat shrink on my tail light and tapped into that to power my relay which is under the passenger seat. Then ran +/- wires wrapped in electrical tape under has tank to under dash to a small barrier strip. I would buy a radio shack euro block and cut down to size and just screw the wires into that when I tidy it up this winter, instead of the US barrier strip. Less bulky.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Current DB Windshield, Immortal Graphix Clear Tank Pad, TapeWorks Reflective Wheel Stripes, Lightning Performance Sliders, T-REX Spools, MotoCentric Sport Saddle, Givi V46, GTI-R HID Projector, Banshee Horn, Speigler Blue Brake lines, Rizoma Engine & Crank Case Guards.

Desired Givi V35. Puig Touring Windscreen, TechSpec Tank Grips, Rizoma F/E, +1/0 Sprockets, New Clutch/Brake Levers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinblue View Post
    I found a set of grip heaters for $19.99, so I wanted to post the link in case anyone else is on a budget.Or to give you guys a couple of days to "school me" if they are a pos before I order them.

Tusk Grip Heater Kit | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Also, besides open bar ends.Whats the biggest difference between street/dirtbike grips?Are the sizes/length any different?Or can I just cut open the bar ends?Id just like something with more bite than most street grips when I get thicker gloves.
    1) Wire them with care, just from reading through the reviews. They wired them for ATV with thumb throttle, so the wires are delicate. Looks like securing them with a wrap of electrical tape fixes that. They also do not have a sticky back, so you'll probably want to get doublesided tape or something to make sure your throttle doesn't spin around them. At half or more the price of the symtec's though, great find!

2) As long as they are 7/8". you can cut the ends. I had to do that on the cheap grips I put on, no biggy.

Don | "Deer suck! Back on two's next year!"

Thanks for the write up. it will surely help me in a month or so.
    FAB 5 President

-----------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/user/JT2012FZ6R

Quote Originally Posted by dart1963 View Post
    1) Wire them with care, just from reading through the reviews. They wired them for ATV with thumb throttle, so the wires are delicate. Looks like securing them with a wrap of electrical tape fixes that. They also do not have a sticky back, so you'll probably want to get doublesided tape or something to make sure your throttle doesn't spin around them. At half or more the price of the symtec's though, great find!

2) As long as they are 7/8". you can cut the ends. I had to do that on the cheap grips I put on, no biggy.
    I was thinking about doing a dry fitting before installation.Instead of taping the wires in place.I was thinking about poking a hole through the grips, and running the wires through the inside.Then maybe trim down the backside of a grip donut to keep the wires in place in a clean way.
    I read that about the warmers not having a sticky back.I was just going to use grip glue on them to.But the double sided tape will be quicker and insulate the warmer on the bare bar side.I'll probably just go that route.

Blog Entries

Cold weather coming! Grip heaters make a world of a difference!

Stay warm!
    -Jay

You call it facial hair.. I call it AWESOMENESS escaping through my face!

Previous Bikes: 09 Rebel 250, 09 FZ6R, 09 R6, 11 FZ8, 2002 Bandit 1200S

Blog Entries

Default follow JSP

did this last year with JSP's instructions. Great!
    Yana Shiki H.I.D. Kit (low beams only) // Pit Bull Rotary Steering Stabilizer // Chain and Cable Luber

http://www.fz6r-forum.com/forum/blogs/mikebaileyvienna/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast