Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: FZ6R Oil Change - How To

Hi all, I did my oil change today and it went really well. For those people who are doing the oil change for the first time you should buy this 302 Found.

It worked perfect and got the oil filter right off.

I just did my oil change this past Sunday. First oil change by me on this bike. Dealership previously did the change for me at purchase, and winter set in a couple weeks after, so there was no reason to do it for months.

I put in some sweet Royal Purple 20w50 (3 quarts exactly, bike takes 2.9, I just thought "**** it").

Original filter was the OEM Yamaha one. A simple filter wrench took it right off. Replaced with K&N KN204, so in the future it's just a 17mm socket to take it off.

Also found that my bike did not have a crush washer for the oil drain bolt. Put one in I got from Honda a few months back for my Civic. Fit perfectly.

The only thing I would not do again is putting the bike on a paddock stand. That straightened the bike up, and caused the oil from the old filter to leak onto the exhaust. Nasty stuff. Now my bike smells like burning oil every time I come to a stop light.

just finished MY first oil change!! was a breeze - the old filter was a bit tricky to get off but a trip to harbor freight -oil filter wrench $7 now onto a question - why are people being finicky about over tightening the new filter? is it just from the prospective of being able to get it back off next change? or is there some other science behind it? i cranked mine down pretty good not crazy but very tight with a ratchet - any thoughts? also i used mobile 1 4t race 10w-30 full syn
    flush mount fronts- DMP fender eliminator- MotoDynamic integrated tail- TREX frame sliders/spools- Two Bros Black Series Carbon Fiber- Juice box pro - Driven block off plates- K&N air filter- smoked windscreen- 08 zx-6r mirrors- shorty levers - puig tire hugger- rear seat cowl

I'd imagine it's mostly so that you can get it off easily next time. Maybe a bit of proper compression of the gasket.

I'm also not certain as to how the threaded bit that the filter goes on is attached to the motor. It could be that if you tighten the filter too much, you'll end up spinning the whole thing out of the block.

I used a screwdriver on my first oil filter. Have been using K&N's since.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoLechero View Post
    just finished MY first oil change!! was a breeze - the old filter was a bit tricky to get off but a trip to harbor freight -oil filter wrench $7 now onto a question - why are people being finicky about over tightening the new filter? is it just from the prospective of being able to get it back off next change? or is there some other science behind it? i cranked mine down pretty good not crazy but very tight with a ratchet - any thoughts? also i used mobile 1 4t race 10w-30 full syn
    Really no need to crank the filter on super tight. Just past hand tight is usually good enough. Never had any problems do I g it this way on cars, trucks or my bike. I refused to buy a filter wrench since I bought kn204 filters so I used a screwdriver for my first change. It was a principle thing for me. LOL! That thing was really on there. No need to have them on that tight. Gotta watch the oil drain plug too. Can strip it out very easily.
    Mods: /Shogun Sliders/ C. Werkes FE/ ZX6R Mirrors/ Flushmounts/ POW Tank Pad/ PC5/ Driven BO's/ Shorty Levers/ Kuryakyn Throttle Lock - Bar Ends/ AHR - HID/ LEDs-Air Scoop/ T-rex Spools/ Woodcraft Clip-Ons/ Kuryakyn ISO Grips/ Puig Racing Screen/ Ram Mount/ / Stompgrip/ Red Rim Stripes/ Red Spike Bolts/ CF Gas Cap Cover/Billet Alum. Pegs/ MD Integrated Taillight/ Healtech GiPro GI/Airbox Mod/ Short V Stacks/ FZ6 Cams/ Galfer Stainless Braided Brake Lines/ Volar Sintered HH pads/ Ogio tailbag

Default Oil change video guide

This guy really simplifies it real well, I made a video guide posted it on youtube that shows the job from start to finish in less than ten minutes hopefully it can help somebody out there https://youtu.be/eWK0cwJz828

OP's directions unclear, engine now full of kittens ...

Here's a shorter video (4m vs 12m)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZuhaPbjv0c

Gonna do this tomorrow. Apparently oil filter 7317 works on our Civic, Fit, Protege5, and ... FZ6R

Quote Originally Posted by RavenriderFZ6R View Post
    This guy really simplifies it real well, I made a video guide posted it on youtube that shows the job from start to finish in less than ten minutes hopefully it can help somebody out there https://youtu.be/eWK0cwJz828

Thanks for posting this!

I did my very first oil change on anything yesterday. This write up is great it went smooth no issues and I switched to Amsoil per recommendations on this forum.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122