Header
Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Go Back   Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum > >
Register All AlbumsiTrader Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FZ6R Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls , Manuals, ect...

Old 02-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
deserteagle
Bike: 09 yamaha fz6r  
deserteagle is on a distinguished road
Default New bike sat all winter--won't start

Ok so I bought a brand new 09 FZ6R in December. I only rode it a few miles before I had to put it up due to the weather in Utah. Since I don't have the means to siphon gas, I put in fuel stabilizer and filled the tank before putting it in my friends garage. I also hooked it up to a trickle charger (battery tender jr.). Now the weather is nice and i want to ride, but no matter what I've tried it won't start. It just turns over and over and doesn't ignite. Any suggestions?
deserteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
flyingminno

Bike: 2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré  
flyingminno is on a distinguished road

It could be a number of things. It sounds like there's a lack of fuel getting to the cylinder. Firstly, try fully opening the throttle for half a minute or so, to allow the present fuel to exit the throttle bodies, then try starting it.
flyingminno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
deserteagle

Hmm, I've only been giving it a little throttle while I try to start it. Any other ideas in case that doesn't work? The bike sits in my friend's garage on base, so it's really only practical for me to go there once a day.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
flyingminno

Bike: 2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré  
flyingminno is on a distinguished road

Well, without being able to listen to what the engine is doing, that is the only simple solution I can give. It could be another of other things ranging from bad fuel clogging the injectors, bad spark plugs, to an off air fuel mixture.
flyingminno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingminno For This Useful Post:
deserteagle (02-14-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
deserteagle

Thanks for the help, I'll try that tomorrow. The best I can describe what the bike sounds like is that its simply turning over, and every ten or so turns it gives a little gurgle of ignition that gets me nowhere.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
dart1963
Super Moderator

Bike: '09 FZ6R Raven  
Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,861 Posts
dart1963 is a splendid one to beholddart1963 is a splendid one to beholddart1963 is a splendid one to beholddart1963 is a splendid one to beholddart1963 is a splendid one to beholddart1963 is a splendid one to beholddart1963 is a splendid one to behold

drain the fuel, put new in... even with stabilizer, it's possible the fuel was "bad" to begin with...

Did that with my generator, put stabil in, it sat all Summer, then when I went to get it ready for winter storms, it just wouldn't start... bad fuel. And that's the first time it's happened to me, used to be able to store fuel for several years and it would always fire up, not this time though.

Don | "That old guy on the bike"

dart1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
deserteagle

Ok. Is there any way to siphon gas without getting a mouthful of it? I only know the old school technique...
Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
DragonBlu

Bike: FZ6R  
DragonBlu is just really niceDragonBlu is just really niceDragonBlu is just really niceDragonBlu is just really nice

Any Auto Parts store should have a gas siphon. It's a squeeze bulb in the middle of a hose that gets the siphon started. I use both the old method and the store bought method. The new gas just don't taste as good as the old leaded stuff used to.
DragonBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
PWJ
Bike: Yamaha FZ6R 2009 Black  
PWJ is on a distinguished road

Yeah I'm willing to bet that it's bad gas. Especially since it is a new bike there is no reason for anything else to be bad. Also double check your spark plug wires to make sure everything is connected and the remaining or the electrical system associated with the ignition system.
PWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
e.blackadder

Bike: '11 FZ8  
e.blackadder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingminno View Post
Well, without being able to listen to what the engine is doing, that is the only simple solution I can give. It could be another of other things ranging from bad fuel clogging the injectors, bad spark plugs, to an off air fuel mixture.
When I got my FZ6R, it was new (2 miles on the ODO), but it sat for a few months in the store. It had starting problems when hot. I had to open up the throttle a bit and crank longer than usual. The bike was new, so I took it back to the dealer. They couldn't find anything wrong, so they just replaced the spark plugs, saying that they could go bad just sitting. Problem gone afterwards.

The V Star I had before I bought used and it sat in for many, many months with some gas in the tank. It got filled up when I got it but the bike was lifeless with rough idle and had to be rev'd fairly high up to take off without stalling. It took me good 2-3 fill-ups to flush that situation. Was normal afterwards.

If you lift the tank, you should be able to disconnect the fuel lines and drain that way. This might be messy and time consuming.
e.blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
start, storage, winter, won't start