Header
Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Go Back   Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum > FZ6R Related Discussion > FZ6R General Discussion
Register All AlbumsiTrader Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FZ6R General Discussion Everything Else

Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
6R Blackout

Bike: Yamaha FZ6R  
6R Blackout will become famous soon enough6R Blackout will become famous soon enough
Default Turbo!!!!!!!

Has anyone on here ever though about, or maybe is planning on installing a turbo on there bikes. I am actually putting forth effort on this thought, I may go for it but I wanted to get some info from others out there that know more about turbo than I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!
FZ6R Raven, Blacked out windscreen, black anodized spiked bar ends, black anodized windscreen and fairing spiked bolts, carbon fiber wheel striping. Carbon fiber valve stem caps. TB exhaust, juice box, and K&N air filter. Carbon fiber tank pad. FE, Integrated tailight, proton flushies, ZX-6 mirrors, T-Rex frame sliders. Apex 3" Riser clip ons, Billet Aluminum footrests, T-Rex swing arm spools.:
6R Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
See red

Bike: FZ6R gone\Tiger1050 now  
See red will become famous soon enough

you need to lower the compression ratio first. Thenyou need to size it, intercooler would be almost be a must.
See red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
Rookasaki

Bike: 2012 Kawi Ninja ZX-6R  
Thanked 1,468 Times in 765 Posts
Rookasaki has a spectacular aura aboutRookasaki has a spectacular aura about

Turbo would be sick! I bet you would be the only one in the world with a FZ6R rock'n a Turbo! Good luck, and definitely keep us posted.
Rookasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
BoneJj
Bike: Ninja 1000  
BoneJj is a jewel in the roughBoneJj is a jewel in the roughBoneJj is a jewel in the roughBoneJj is a jewel in the rough

It would require some serious considerations about cooling, remember that turbos require oil and if you plan to use the same oil that is in the block you will need to cool that oil.

So you will need an intercooler, oil cooler, and probably a better higher performing radiator as well. Not to mention, how you would manage the ECU and other tuning aspects.

I've seen a few bikes over the years with turbos but they are far and few between and they are often much bigger bikes as it's a little easier to tune in a bigger bike as tolerances are wider and normally they have already done as much as possible to the bike in terms of getting more power.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea and I'd love to see it but it's going to take some serious thought and design to get it to work right.

Would you be able to get a higher performing radiator for the bike and where and how do you plan to mount the turbo? It would more than likely be as many cars do with a rear mount turbo but that would leave some other design issues as it would need to be exposed enough to cool or you would have to a completely custom header and mount it near the front of the bike but IDK if you would have the room. You might be able to do it... probably would cost more than the bike is worth but I bet you could do it.... Then once you get a kit assembled you could sell it and make some cash off the kits...

What a tiny turbo that would be... lol.
BoneJj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BoneJj For This Useful Post:
6R Blackout (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
Chevyfazer

Bike: 04 fz6  
Chevyfazer is on a distinguished road

Haven't ever screen a turbo fz6r but there was a guy from England who built a bottle feed pumper fz6 ( supercharged and nos) I think it had something like 250whp!!!!
Chevyfazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #6
Hellgate

Bike: 12 Tuono V4 APRC, 05 R6  
Hellgate is on a distinguished road

On the FZ6 forum there's has been one turbo bike. He had to rebuild the motor once and made the manifolds for it. I don't recall what he used for fuel management, many people use MegaSquirt. Lots of work but it would be a fun project.

If you search over there you'll find a number of photos he posted.

'13 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
'12 Aprilia Tuono V4 ARPC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 Yamaha RD350 - Canadian
'82 Yamaha XV1100R - Project Bike
Hellgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
leprecaun jon
ESTABLISHED RESIDENT

Bike: white 2009 fz6r  
leprecaun jon has a spectacular aura aboutleprecaun jon has a spectacular aura aboutleprecaun jon has a spectacular aura about

they have turbo kits for the f4 and f4i theres a guy around here selling his f41 with the turbo...

MODS: LG1 design custom decals, r6 mirrors, white shogun no cut frame sliders,integrated tail light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post

The philosophy I hold so dear though, took root right here on this forum. In all the posts I read about riders down and the benefits of ATGATT.
spoken like a true hero
leprecaun jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
MiltonDorkenhoff
Search, THEN post.

Bike: Yellow FZ6R  
MiltonDorkenhoff is a jewel in the roughMiltonDorkenhoff is a jewel in the roughMiltonDorkenhoff is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Yahoo to MiltonDorkenhoff Send a message via Skype™ to MiltonDorkenhoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter77 View Post
Has anyone on here ever though about, or maybe is planning on installing a turbo on there bikes. I am actually putting forth effort on this thought, I may go for it but I wanted to get some info from others out there that know more about turbo than I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!
Nope, you're the first to think of it.. Well, except for all of these people who were hanging out behind the search button..

Sent from my coffee machine using Dunkin' Donuts coffee
MiltonDorkenhoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiltonDorkenhoff For This Useful Post:
6R Blackout (01-25-2012), djf18374 (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
See red

Bike: FZ6R gone\Tiger1050 now  
See red will become famous soon enough

They make a turbo kit for a burgman 650 wich would be about the right size. You don't need to do the oil line, run a ball bearing instead of a sleeve version. You will need to upgrade the radiator. lower the compression with a lthicker head gasket. headers will be a hard part. You can use a stand alone ecu like Hydra, but all in all.... Just buy a bike with a kit pre built. besides, n/a is more responsive. Drag racing??
See red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to See red For This Useful Post:
6R Blackout (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
Marthy
World Most Bad A$$ 6R

Bike: 2009 FZ6R Touring - Yellow  
Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,535 Posts
Marthy is a splendid one to beholdMarthy is a splendid one to beholdMarthy is a splendid one to beholdMarthy is a splendid one to beholdMarthy is a splendid one to beholdMarthy is a splendid one to beholdMarthy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
On the FZ6 forum there's has been one turbo bike. He had to rebuild the motor once and made the manifolds for it. I don't recall what he used for fuel management, many people use MegaSquirt. Lots of work but it would be a fun project.

If you search over there you'll find a number of photos he posted.
Talking about rebuilt, not something I need to worry about too much right now but how many miles do you think we can pound on those engine before rebuilt? Any idea how many miles they put on a FZ6... been around for a little longer. I was just wondering... lol There's a big bore kit available...lol

Martin
www.marthymotorcycleexhaustsolution.com
[email protected]

Life is all about attitude. Be hard on yourself, easy on others.

6R Marthy Danmoto+PCV+PLX MAP Sensor, FZ6 Cams, BOP, Puig Touring Windscreen, Renthal 787 Handlebar with heavy bar end, CNC mirrors, 17/47 Light steel, X-Large Trunk + Givi E21/custom rack, Custom Touring Seat, Proton flush mount, Rigid LED Aux lights
Marthy is offline   Reply With Quote